Friday, April 1, 2011

New Lens, New Reason To Shoot.


Over the past few weeks I talked about transitions. Ever since I read the quote "dissing" those who rely on heavy editing techniques to create a "WOW" image I have really pushed myself in regards to how I do what I do. I used to rely on fancy editing in order to get the emotional response I aim for when I am showing a photograph. But, I am pushing myself extremely hard in order to create an image that will "WOW" those viewing it even if it is unedited

I picked up a new lens this week. A Sigma 30mm f1.4. Its a beautiful peice of glass, that takes even better photographs. When shot wide open, typically lenses lose sharpness. This little beast, on the other hand. It freaking sharp throughout the range. It's been on my camera since I bought it Tuesday and I don't forsee it coming off anytime soon. This lens does wonders for portrait photography. It makes skin look simply beautiful.

When I picked up the lens I was just itching to shoot with it. Unfortunately I had to wait until today. I know I know, a whole 3 days. But for me, that was like 3 years. However, I am proud to say it was definitely worth the wait. Big. Time.

Natalie drove up so we could take some pictures together. We've shot together before and like everytime before, today's shoot was an absolute blast. Even though she did constantly make fun of my fake laugh.

On to the peek-churs. Just a little side-note. I typically am never satisfied with the photos I take, but I am absolutely in LOVE with these. Pretty darn proud actually. I'm happy to say that I am definitely moving towards where I want my photos to be.

















 These next photos are what I like to call "Happy Accidents". When we originally began shooting outside it was a beautiful overcast day. A bad thing, unless your a photographer. The clouds diffused the hard sunlight giving you a beautifully soft light. Great for portraits. The sun snuck out behind the clouds a couple of times, so in order to combat the hard shadows. I flipped Natalie around and shot into the sun. I was not planning on shooting anything like this today, but when life gives you lemons. Well, you make an amazing image. (See what I did there). Clever, I know.




 Another "Happy Accident". We were shooting when the sun once again wanted to play hardball. I turned Natalie around once again and back-lit her. This is probably my favorite out of the set. I think this photo is a homerun.

I had an incredibly difficult time narrowing down the candidates to feature in the blog. To see more check out the Facebook Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment