Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Matt and Beth: Atlanta Engagement Photographer



      This weekend was probably the busiest weekends I have ever had from a photography standpoint. This is the second shoot I had this weekend. It was an beautiful engagement session featuring Matt, and Beth Ann. We were planning to shoot in Atlanta, however, after hearing about the massive delays and road closings we decided to stay local and just find great light and shoot! I am glad we stayed, we were able to shoot right in the sweet spot where the light was just absolutely beautiful, and had we shot in Atlanta, we would have been driving during this divine light.

Matt and Beth Ann were both naturals in front of the camera. We started with some very basic headshots, which I open up every shoot with, mainly as a way to allow my subjects to relax, as well as allowing myself to relax. I always get nervous before shoots, and I am always nervous in the back of my head until I get that first shot. That first shot came about 40 photos into the session. That photo is below.

The light was amazing at this point. The sun was low in the sky, but I was shooting right into it. No fear. No lens hood. I simply shot with one hand, and used the other hand to block the direct sunlight into the camera. Allowing me to get perfect exposure on my subjects, with great hair light, and minimizing the amount of flare.

This also opens up a creative opportunity. If you look closely at the top right corner of the photo below, there is what looks like a light leak on an on school film exposure. But actually, that is the flare from my hand blocking the direct sunlight from the lens. I kinda like it.

Matt was nervous at the beginning on the shoot, but in the photo below. Well, I think all those butterflies were long gone.



I had an extra guest shooting with me on this shoot. Meet Meredith. She came along in order to pick up where I leave off. And that is often times when someone's hair is on their face, they are at an awkward angle. Much to my relief, anytime something of that nature happened, she would swoop in and make any necessary changes.


Oh, and thanks for carrying the bags!

In addition to being my second pair of eyes, she brought some wonderfully creative ideas to the table. Without her, I would have missed out on this beautiful kodak moment below.




Beth Ann, Work. It. Girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment