Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Michael Knowlton Photography: Personal Beauty Shoot

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I've charged myself with putting together my print portfolio in order to begin booking some work with larger clients. Unfortunately, after the initial edit, I quickly realized there was quite a bit of work my portfolio was missing. So I got to work, scheduling photo shoot after photo shoot in order to fill that void. Well, the first of those photo shoots was this past Friday, and let me tell you, it was everything I could've asked for.

I've been a bit hard headed in the past, when it comes to asking for help, but last week I put that to rest. I enlisted the help of three ladies to make this photo shoot greater than any one I've had before. And that is just what they did. I can't thank them enough for what they did, because together, we created some extraordinary images. Images that I would show to an art buyer/creative director in a heart beat, and with a smile on my face.

The morning of the shoot was a bit hectic, as there were some obstacles I had to overcome. A few months ago, I went to one of the photo stores in Atlanta and picked up a 9 foot, white seamless roll of paper in order to use as a background for my studio shoots. I chose white simply because by varying the lighting, I can make it white, gray, or completely black, and only have to move my subjects a few feet either way which makes it a great option due to lack of space. However, I used it for a video shoot a few weeks ago and left it in an office. The custodial staff then came in and threw out the large seamless. And it wasn't until about 9AM when I found this out. So I had to improvise a bit, and rather than use a white seamless, we shot against a white wall. It limited me a bit, due to the fact that I couldn't take full body shots, but I think it worked out great in the end as I was able to shoot only beauty.

We ended up shooting three looks. I originally planned to only shoot two, however, the first two looks went quick so I decided to push myself to see if I could produce images for three looks, that looked as if they were shot at three different places. I think I did pretty well, but you be the judge and let me know!









No comments:

Post a Comment